Thursday, October 9, 2014

Land of the Free reviews


Hello everyone. The internet is huge and if you spend enough time surfing you can pretty much find anything you are looking for. When it comes to Land of the Free I would rather see my fellow hobbyists spend their time painting, playing, and reading those websites that are placed at their fingertips.

With that being said I would like to present to you the first review by a gentleman who has read through the rules and it working on scheduling his first game.

A Wargaming Gallimaufry

The Miniatures Page also has a few subjects that are following the reviews and comments on Land of the Free. Here is the link for them:

TMP American Revolution Boards

Wargames Illustrated also wrote an article covering the new rules in the October 2014 issue of the magazine and has additional photographs of the game here:

Wargames Illustrated Website

I have been in contact with other reviewers and more information will be pouring in over the next few months. I will continue to post the links as I receive them so stay tuned.

I will also post the links on the Land of the Free Facebook Group so if you are looking for more instant gratification then sign up.


6 comments:

  1. Will there be an area for posing questions?

    I have one to begin:

    Are Snap Fire and Closing Fire the same and do both require a Stored Combat Order to execute?

    Thanks,
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jon. I can post a thread called Questions? if that helps or you can always email me and I will post a thread of all the questions and answers every couple of weeks. I am happy to help.

    Snap Fire requires a Combat Order and Closing Fire is a charge reaction that does not require a Combat Order. The charge is forcing the element to react. In essence Snap Fire is a lot more flexible because the element can react to any enemy element that ends an Order in their threat zone. Closing Fire only allows you to react to an element charging that specific element. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Joe,

      Good idea about the Questions topic. Now, on to my follow-up...

      I understand that Closing Fire is a CHARGE REACTION but why does a Counter Charge require a Stored Maneuver Order but a Closing Fire does not require a Stored Combat Order? Is a charge triggering Closing Fire not forcing a target to react in a similar manner as is a counter charge? Are you suggesting that Closing Fire is a free shot over and above any Combat Order limit?

      Maybe some of my confusion might be because their is a Counter-Charge in CHARGE INTERRUPTIONS and a Counter Charge in CHARGE REACTIONS. The difference, to me, is that CHARGE INTERRUPTIONS are against any active units in Threat Zone while CHARGE REACTIONS are carried out by TARGETS of an active player's charge. Yet, Counter-charge in both cases costs a Stored Maneuver Order while Snap Fire (needs stored CO) and Closing Fire (does not need CO) are treated differently.

      Played our first two games today. Each played to decisive conclusion in under two hours.
      Thanks,
      Jon

      Delete
    3. Joe, after re-reading the relevant sections, I think I may be able to answer my own questions!

      Targets of a charge need no order to either Closing Fire or Counter-Charge. Passive units, (that are not, themselves, being charged), responding to charge activity in a Threat Zone require an order to either Counter-Charge or Snap Fire.

      There. Did I get that right?

      Delete
  3. Jon,

    You indeed answered your own questions. You nailed it right on the head. In hindsight I should have changed the name of counter-charge like I did closing fire so it would be less confusing. Perhaps in version 2 when that comes out in January. :) Just kidding. I wouldn't do that.

    ReplyDelete