Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Progress Report - Test Miniatures

I have been cleaning and assembling a handful of the new Wargames Factory American Revolution plastics over the past few weeks but all of my writing assignments have kept me pretty busy. I finally got around to priming some and this past week I realized how much I enjoy painting. I managed to get about 16 militia fully painted and based and I will cover them in a later article. For now I wanted to show you my progress on some Continentals and British.

This light infantry soldier of the 43rd Foot is completely painted which gives me a nice test model to work off of. There is quite a contrast in each level of highlighting but I think they will look great on the tabletop. I thought I would honor one of the first regiments to experiment with light infantry tactics and they were present at quite a few battles during the war.

The back side of the light infantrymen.

Here is an officer and a drummer from the 43rd Foot. I wanted to show them in their 'raw' state. They are simply base coated and 'dipped' using the Army Painter wash. I hit them with Testor's Dull Coat before starting my highlights. Players wishing to field armies quickly could stop here but I want them to 'pop' on the tabletop so I will add 2-3 highlights for each color.

Here are a few Continental soldiers painted to look like the 9th Virginia Regiment. These have also been 'dipped' and dull coated. 

I wanted to show an example of some infantry after the Army Painter wash but not dull coated. As you can see they are pretty shiny. These soldiers represent the 2nd Maryland Regiment.

I am working on some painting tutorial videos as well as some painting guides to help those of you who don't know which colors to use. I primarily use Vallejo paints and there are equivalent paint colors in other ranges.

3 comments:

  1. Joe, very nicely done! I've got a good 15mm AWI collection, and have so far avoided the temptation of getting into 28s......(ok, still holding strong).....but it's hard to do seeing how nicely these big figures look painted up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind words. I did a lot of playtesting for my rules with a 15mm French and Indian War collection. I enjoy both 15mm and 25/28mm for different reasons. 15mm is faster to paint and you get large collections on the table in a speedy manner. I love 25mm from the painting and hobbying aspect. It is also truly impressive when you can field huge armies.

    The Wargames Factory miniatures are truly a joy to work with and paint up really well. The details are crisp and as long as you can keep your hand steady then the miniatures will do the rest. :)

    You should jump in the 25mm pool. The water is warm and it will give your eyes a break. :)

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first 25mm AWI miniatures were Minifig, Hinchliff ,and Ron Wall figs - we're talkin' 30+ years ago when I first collected those, but I still have about an American Brigade's worth left. I always liked the slender, angular, and tall look of the Hinchliff figures, but for availability of units our local gaming group had to go with lots of Minifigs to flesh out our units. All my AWI 15s are Polly Oliver, and for ACW Old Glory 15s (the originals). I guess when given the choice in sculpting style I'll opt for slender rather than chunky any time. I like these Wargames Factory 28s, in that they look taller, and well-proportioned, rather than towards the more "robust" style.

    Dave

    ReplyDelete